Multifaceted brand Obey has made its name by producing thought provoking designs since 1989. This street-wear brand mixes classic military influences with high-end wearable basics. Influenced by skate, surf and art, designer Mike Ternosky channels the vision of Shepard Fairey by keeping with the ideal that self-empowerment is universal and wearable.
We’re used to seeing Shep’s art sprinkled around building tops up and down La Brea. Recently the owners of the parking garage across the street gave Shep free reign to paint the entire building. He jumped at the rare opportunity to paint in daylight, taking afternoon lunchbreaks with his crew at our cafe. Mike T has been designing the entire Obey line, save for the graphics, which we think makes him not only hugely talented, but one of the hardest working designers in the industry.
1. What was your original dream job? When I was in elementary school I always wanted to work in the skate and surf industry. So I ended up drawing pictures of waves and ramps on all my school notebooks. And now look where that landed me.
2. Favorite Pet? I’m a cat lover. But I think I’ve retired from the pet game for the time being.
3. Worst date? Never had a bad one. But my best date was at the reggae/dance hall night Dub Club at the Short Stop where I met my wife. The song we met to was Sister Nancy “Bam Bam”.
4. Last song you downloaded? My brother just file shared me “Thundermother” “No Red Rowan”. He’s the dealer that supplies me with all my tunes.
5. Mode of transportation? My 1985 Mercedes 350 sl hard top. Rides like a blast from the past.
6. Your ideal day off? Hanging with the family in the backyard and doing some gardening with them.
7. Favorite local hangout? Cafe Stella on Monday nights when my brother and friends DJ the side bar.
8.Who’s your favorite designer? Adam Kimmel, refined work-wear and menswear at its best.
9. If you could have one superpower, what would it be? To add more hours to the day. Between family and work, more hours would be nice to go skateboarding with the crew.
10. if you could have beer with anyone who would it be? My dad. Coolest dude ever with lots of street knowledge and wisdom.
Shop the collection